Personal letter to Webmaster from IFAW


Tell eBay to stop all ivory auctions

Dear Bent,

Did you know that thousands of animal and wildlife products made from endangered species are bought and sold over the Internet every day?

IFAW investigations have uncovered some shocking wildlife offers online: wild leather and fur handbags, shoes and clothes from endangered reptiles, rhinoceros horn trophies, an alarming number of items made from ivory and much more.

As the largest Internet marketplace for ivory sales, eBay is directly and indirectly assisting the illegal trade in wildlife as well as the poachers who create it.

Demand that eBay end illegal wildlife offers from its auction sites immediately

Increasingly, illegal wildlife products are distributed online as the means by which the illicit trade in wildlife is conducted. This enables illegal trade at tremendous speeds to go completely unchecked: a trade so great that it is now estimated to be second only to illegal trafficking in drugs and weapons.

IFAW recently conducted an in-depth survey of ivory products for sale on eBay. During a one week investigation of eight eBay sites, a whopping 2,275 ivory items were found. More than 94% of these ivory items did not comply with eBay’s own stated standards and the remaining 6% were most likely illegal.

There is no single, well-defined, consistent global eBay policy governing the listing of ivory on its various national web sites. Each national eBay site has its own rules, almost all of which are vague. Illegal items taken down in one country can easily be reposted or accessed on another eBay country website.

Fueling the poaching of elephants in Africa and Asia

The illegal wildlife trade is a lucrative business for poachers that encourages them to kill more animals. More than 20,000 elephants are killed annually today to supply these illegal ivory markets. Although much of this ivory is still sold through traditional markets, the killing won’t stop until the vast online outlets for ivory are shut down.

As the largest seller of illegal ivory on the Internet, eBay needs to ban sales of ivory globally on all its sites and strictly enforce such a ban. The trade in ivory is cruel and unsustainable. eBay must take action to ensure it plays no part in this ongoing tragedy for elephants.

eBay has expressed its commitment to a global policy on the ivory trade and a willingness to work closely with IFAW on drafting such a policy and its enforcement. But words are not enough.

Please take a moment to send a letter to eBay corporate headquarters urging e-Bay to enforce a complete global ban on ivory sales.

Thank you for speaking out,
Fred O’Regan
President and CEO

P.S. eBay must accept responsibility for the impact that trade in wild animal products on its sites is having on the world’s wildlife. Please tell eBay in your own words why allowing the sale of illegal wildlife products is wrong.




NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell
280 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10017

Dear Commissioner Goodell,
Please immediately suspend Michael Vick from the NFL for his
alleged involvement in dogfighting. Vick's recent indictment by
a federal grand jury for crimes related to dogfighting is a
certain sign that you must treat this matter seriously. Reports
of extreme cruelty to dogs who didn't "perform" to the fighters'
satisfaction only add to the disgrace Vick brings to the NFL.
Dogfighting is cruel and criminal, and football players must be
held accountable like anyone else. Please suspend Vick
immediately--anything less would reflect very badly on your
judgment, and on the league.
Bent Bay
This dog was one of 52 pit bulls seized from Michael Vick's property.

Dear Bent,
Thank you for asking NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to suspend
Michael Vick for his alleged dogfighting.
Please tell your friends and family to take action, too: ?
And if you haven't already, please help us care for the dogs
seized in the Michael Vick case by making a special donation
Thank you for all you do on behalf of animals.

Wayne Pacelle
President & CEO
The Humane Society of the United States

Taking Action for Animals
July 28-30, 2007 | Washington, DC
Join us in the nation's capital! Get motivated, inspired, and
learn practical advocacy skills to help you put your compassion
into action.

If you would like to update your account information, please
visit your subscription management page for The Humane Society
of the United States at:

This email is Powered by Convio, Inc.


Send this Homepage to a friend:

Visitors online:  - right now

Other languages and programes - Click on flag.
< <